Re: display-buffer-alist simplifications

From: grischka
Subject: Re: display-buffer-alist simplifications
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2011 23:44:37 +0200

Please don't use the formulation "avoid" with `display-buffer-alist'.
Try to formulate in a positive sense: Which window ...

Right, I think too that it is very important have a positive approach
to window selection.

Then again the word "other" also rather expresses avoidance, that
is as soon as it does not mean "the other". Which was the case
only in the traditional two window design.  However with more
than two, the word other is not a specifier anymore.  It does not
specify a location.

Basically your problem is the way you count:  One, two, many.
Such the step into next UI layout generation was supposed to
happen by the silent redefinition of "the other" to "some other".

But this does not work in space.  In space, the divisions into
one, two, three or four parts are classes on their own, with a
rich typology of possible configurations each.  There is no spacial
class that would offer orientation in all divisions of "two or more"
by one common semantic.

What I'm trying to say:  After the two windows approach has worked
quite well for a while, what about now concerning yourself with say
three windows.  To begin with, THREE.  Three is not a just a number.
It is a world on its own.

--- grischka