Re: Building Emacs with graphics support on a Mac system

From: Paul Michael Reilly
Subject: Re: Building Emacs with graphics support on a Mac system
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2011 08:08:54 -0400

On Sun, Jul 24, 2011 at 4:04 AM, Jan Djärv <address@hidden> wrote:

Paul Michael Reilly skrev 2011-07-24 07:16:

I am struggling trying to get -ljpeg support on Mac OS X (Lion).  I can build
Emacs without graphics support just fine using XCode4 support but I would now
like to add some of the helpful additions that come with graphics and image
support.  My first attempt was to use MacPorts and install the jpeg package.
 I moved the jpeg include and lib files into /usr/include and /usr/lib but
configure still fails to detect jpeg support.  Before I try to grok the
autoconf script I am curious to know what approach is used by those who do
build on and for Mac OS X hardware to achieve graphics and image support.

If you configure --with-ns, Emacs displays images just fine without -ljpeg.
It uses other API:s.  Did you try opening a jpeg file?

I did not.  And imagine my chagrin when I did and discovered that you are right! :-)  Very nice indeed.

Is this generally true, that Emacs built on OS X will provide the same functionality as, say, Linux, but without external libraries being installed?

Thanks,

-pmr