Re: webkit emacs support notes

From: joakim
Subject: Re: webkit emacs support notes
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2011 13:40:56 +0200

Antoine Levitt <address@hidden> writes:

> 22/07/11 12:42, address@hidden
>> The xwidget webkit support for embedding a webkit instance is usable now
>> and I use it in my primary Emacs.
>
> Awesome!
>
> Have you tried interfacing this with newsreaders to display HTML
> news/mail? Doing that doesn't require much more than the ability to
> display a rendered page, so it's probably trivial to get this into a
> very usable state.

I havent tried because I'm fairly pleased with gnus SHR html renderer.

If one would like to try it heres an idea:
- create a new xwidget webkit to gnus inline renderer (no idea how to
interface to gnus like this)
- make gnus produce an xwdiget display spec inline in the mail buffer
- this display spec should accept a string containing the html, or
something like that. currently I only support urls, so atm one would
need to extract the html to a file

Seems doable, and xwidgets should eventually support it. Sounds a bit
scary though to allow webkit to render spam. I dont understand the
security implications well enough yet.

--
Joakim Verona