Re: gtk scroll bar: upstream bug report

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: gtk scroll bar: upstream bug report
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 16:28:23 +1000

On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 3:46 PM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
> Tim Cross <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 1:54 AM, Jan Djärv <address@hidden> wrote:
>>>
>>> I think they want applications to behave the same, and the Emacs model is
>>> late to the game (for Gtk+).  So there is little reason to switch.
>>
>> My interaction with GTK+ developers supports this as well. There
>> appears to be a fairly strong GUI design philosophy underlying GTK+
>> which tries to enforce what they believe are good UI design principals
>> and ensure consistency across apps which use the toolkit.
>
> Consistency may be nice, but not everything is a viewer.
>
> --
> David Kastrup

I don't necessarily agree with their views on good UI design or even
their view of consistency. While emacs developers my try to convince
them why different behaviour for a scroll bar would benefit some apps,
at the end of the day, it is up to the GTK+ devs to decide if what we
are arguing represents a bug, a feature request or an enhancement or
just reject it because it does not fit in with their plans/strategy.
The opinions of emacs developers are largely irrelevant - we can try
to argue the case and we can even disagree with their assessment, but
in the end we can only either accept it and move on and continue to
support a build based on GTK+ or reject it and drop support for it.
Anything else is largely irrelevant.

Tim