Re: Usage examples of dedicated windows and popup frames?

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Usage examples of dedicated windows and popup frames?
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2011 18:00:01 +0200

martin rudalics <address@hidden> writes:

>> However, `other-frame' raises and selects correctly.
>
> Does `pop-to-buffer-other-frame' raise and select correctly when the
> buffer argument is already shown on an iconified frame?

Yes, it does.

>>> Maybe we could make the *Completions* frame (optionally) invisible
>>> instead of iconfying it?
>>
>> What's "invisible" in this respect?  (In any case, I'd try it out.)
>
> Hmm, invisible is invisible, see section 28.10 of the Elisp manual.
> That is, we could make the frame optionally invisible and make it
> visible again when it's needed.  For example, when I evaluate the
> following three forms step by step
>
> (setq my-frame (make-frame))
> (make-frame-invisible my-frame)
> (make-frame-visible my-frame)
>
> my-frame is visible and has input focus after the third step.

Yes, that's nice.  I think that's better as a default action for frames
showing completion, because it's less distracting if iconification is
animated, and it doesn't clutter the window manager switcher with
temporary frames you usually don't want to switch to anyway.

> If I do
>
> (let ((frame (selected-frame)))
>   (make-frame-visible my-frame)
>   (raise-frame frame))
>
> as third step, the original frame is in the foreground,

Yes, here, too.

> and if I do
>
> (let ((frame (selected-frame)))
>   (make-frame-visible my-frame)
>   (redirect-frame-focus my-frame frame))
>
> as third step, my-frame is risen but typing input goes to the original
> frame.

After evaluating that form, my emacs froze so that I had to kill it.
C-g didn't work anymore.  However, I cannot reproduce that with emacs
-Q...

Bye,
Tassilo