Re: Usage examples of dedicated windows and popup frames?

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Usage examples of dedicated windows and popup frames?
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2011 11:39:41 +0200

martin rudalics <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Martin,

>> Using
>>
>>   (setq pop-up-frames 'graphic-only
>>         display-buffer-reuse-frames t)
>>
>> the frame showing *Completions* still receives input focus when it
>> shows up the first time.
>
> A frame always receives input focus when it shows up the first time.
> But we can try to redirect focus to the original frame afterwards.

That would be good.

>> After the completion finished, the frame gets iconified.  But it
>> still won't be raised at the next completion.
>
> It's raised here so that's probably a problem with your window
> manager.

Possibly.  As I said, I use GNOME3, and there minimizing/iconifying is a
deprecated concept (you cannot do it with the default configuration).

> I recall someone reporting a similar problem (and that's, after all,
> the issue causing the introduction of `display-buffer-reuse-frames'
> IIUC).  Does `raise-frame' otherwise DTRT on your system for an
> iconifed frame?

I tried with 2 frames, one being iconified

  (raise-frame (cadr (frame-list)))

but that didn't raise the other frame.  I made sure that (cadr ...) is
indeed the iconified frame.

However, `other-frame' raises and selects correctly.

> Maybe we could make the *Completions* frame (optionally) invisible
> instead of iconfying it?

What's "invisible" in this respect?  (In any case, I'd try it out.)

Bye,
Tassilo