Re: [ELPA Submission] OpenDocumentText exporter for Orgmode

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: [ELPA Submission] OpenDocumentText exporter for Orgmode
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2011 14:31:50 -0400

>     > He meant GNU ELPA but he said the name of Tom's archive.  You could
>     > tell from the context which one he meant, but if you need to tell from
>     > the context, that is proof that the names are not clear.
>
>     All the other alternatives are lousy; that's life.
>
> Several good alternatives have been suggested here,
> including REL and REEL.
>
> Do you have any objective reasons to reject them?

As I explained in a previous email, "Emacs Lisp Package Archive" is the
natural name to use when referring to archives compatible with
package.el, which internally refers to `packages' and `archives' in its
many functions, variables, and documentation; nor is it reasonable to
rename all these functions and variables, because it is good to maintain
compatibility with existing users of Tom's original package.el.

Given that ELPA is the natural term for archives compatible with
package.el, it does not make sense for us to name our archive something
completely different---and less descriptive.