Re: Problems with new smtpmail

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Problems with new smtpmail
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2011 18:30:17 +0200

[snip]

>> And STARTTLS is not supported by Emacs (generic) or there was something
>> missing at configure time that makes *my* Emacs to lack STARTTLS?
>
> Yes.  You compiled your Emacs without gnutls support, and you don't have
> gnutls-cli installed, either.

Maybe another good candidate for a NEWS mention. There is no immediate
relation among gnutls and STARTTLS for me. It is the first time that I
see gnutls-cli mentioned. It is not in NEWS.

>> From reading NEWS again, it may seem that STARTTLS is supported but
>> not properly configured on my setup (missing
>> smtpmail-starttls-credentials, perhaps?)
>
> That variable doesn't exist, so, no.  :-)

So why is it mentioned in NEWS?

[snip]

>> That's fine if you start from a clean setup, but my short experience
>> demonstrates that if you have previous settings, one ends confused.
>
> I think the only thing your example showed was that smtpmail was
> over-zealous in requiring STARTTLS if the server offered it...

That was one half of the problem. My previous setup is now not
functional because it used variables that are not obeyed by smtpmail as
it used to (smtpmail-default-smtp-server ignored when in
custom-set-variables, smtpmail-auth-credentials gone)