Re: switch-to-buffer: for interactive use only

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: switch-to-buffer: for interactive use only
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2011 21:18:28 -0400

> Was it really necessary to mark switch-to-buffer "for interactive use
> only"? It's a pretty basic command that was used in ~ 800 places in the
> Emacs 23.3 sources.

Most of those calls were bugs waiting to catch you in Emacs<23 ("you"
being typically a user like myself who uses dedicated windows and/or
minibuffer-only frames).  In Emacs-23, I basically redefined
switch-to-buffer as something akin to pop-to-buffer-same-window which
fixes many of those bugs but introduces others.

> Was it really necessary to mark switch-to-buffer "for interactive use
> only"? It's a pretty basic command that was used in ~ 800 places in the
> Emacs 23.3 sources.

Indeed, the manual needs to be fixed in this respect.

> Isn't there a better way to handle this than replacing hundreds of
> calls with `pop-to-buffer-same-window'?

Not sure what that way would be.

        Stefan