Re: problems with emacsclient started by cygwin programs (mswindows)

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: problems with emacsclient started by cygwin programs (mswindows)
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2011 13:21:56 -0400

>>> I don't know Windows well enough to know exactly what should happen, but
>>> here are some thoughts:
>>> - you can solve your problem with something like cywin-mount.el.
>>> I know Eli doesn't like cywin-mount.el, but I think we should at least
>>> add such a feature to GNU ELPA.
> I use cygwin-mount.el and it doesn't solve the problem.  The reason:
> expand-file-name was creating invalid pathnames (c:/home/... rather
> than c:/cygwin/home/...).  cygwin-mount.el is for rewriting *valid*
> pathnames.

I'm not sure I understand exactly what you're saying: is it because of
limitations of cygwin-mount or is it because something else makes it
impossible for cygwin-mount to do the right thing?

>>> - It might still make sense to want to understand cygwin-style file
>>> names from emacsclient without wanting cygwin-mount (which tries to
>>> handle cywin file names *everywhere*).  But then it should probably
>>> work not only for emacsclient but also for file name args to emacs
>>> itself (as a general rule, we should strive to make `emacs' and
>>> `emacsclient' command line handling more similar rather than more
>>> different).
> The problem I'm trying to solve is unique to a cygwin program
> calling emacsclient.  I'm not sure we want to generalize it beyond
> that.

I can't imagine why the same problem wouldn't show up if you try to run
`emacs' from cygwin's bash.
And please understand that I don't mean to say that your suggestion is
wrong, just that the same should be done in startup.el to match your
change in server.el.

> most situations.  Just not when I'm in a subdir of ~ where bash
> reports my directory as /home/...  and not /c/cygwin/home/...  the
> latter would be handled 100% properly *without modification* by
> cygwin-mount.

IIRC /home is "mounted" from /c/cygwin/home, and cywin-mount has/had
support for such rewriting, tho it may not be enabled by default, or may
not have been updated to work with recent Emacsen/Cygwin.

        Stefan