Re: Reminder about feature freeze

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Reminder about feature freeze
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 18:25:35 +0200

On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 17:50, Chong Yidong <address@hidden> wrote:

> OK.  (OT: though personally I'm not a big fan of the obsolete/
> directory; in this day and age, it's trivial to find old library
> versions without including them in the distribution.

I'm no fan either, but I think we don't want to inconvenience users if
we just obsoleted some package. Really old stuff should be removed, as
you suggest:

>  We ought to think
> about deleting some of the really obsolete stuff from there.)

and in fact Glenn has done it already (rnews.el, rnewspost.el,
x-menu.el, sc.el, for example).

Of the remaining, awk-mode, fast-lock, iso-acc, iso-insert, iso-swed,
keyswap, lazy-lock, options, scribe and swedish were all obsoleted in
22.1, released on 2007-06-02. That's four years and five releases ago.

> I looked through the code, and found no problems, though I
> have not tested it.

Well, I just found a minor bug with handling of C-u M-x
emacs-lock-mode, and I've fixed it in my copy. :-)

>  Some minor comments are below.  Feel free to wait a
> few days for others to weigh in; don't feel compelled to commit before
> the end of the month.

OK.

>  Please include a NEWS entry.

Yes, sure, and ChangeLog entries. I just didn't wanna write them
before knowing whether the package will be accepted ;-)

> Typo in "convenience".

Fixed.

>> Its value is used as default for `emacs-lock-mode' (which see)
>                      ^ the

Fixed.

> It would be better to document the meanings of `exit', `kill', etc. here
> as well, even if it's a duplicate of the information in the docstring of
> `emacs-lock-mode', so that users browsing the Customize group have the
> information right in front of them.

Done.

>> (defun emacs-lock--kill-emacs-query-functions ()
>>   "Display a message if any buffer is exit-locked.
>> Returns a value appropriate for `kill-emacs-query-functions' (which see)."
>
> "Returns" should be "return".

That's puzzling. In most docstrings I've seen, the first line uses
imperative, but the rest no. In fact, there are > 650 uses of
"Returns" in lisp/**/*.el.

But fixed anyway.

Thanks for you comments.

    Juanma