Re: GPGME

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: GPGME
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 07:46:09 -0500

On Thu, 30 Jun 2011 03:41:52 +0900 Daiki Ueno <address@hidden> wrote:

DU> Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:
>> The standard OpenPGP format described in the 90-page RFC is extremely
>> flexible and powerful (it's packet based and has more options than GNU
>> ls); I think it would be a lot of work to implement it even for just a
>> few symmetric ciphers.

DU> It is not that complex - for symmetric encryption, only limited part is
DU> used.  Try:

DU>   $ gpg --list-packets aaa.txt.gpg
DU>   :symkey enc packet: version 4, cipher 3, s2k 3, hash 2
DU>     salt 071379daac57c0c1, count 65536 (96)
DU>   gpg: CAST5 encrypted data
DU>   :encrypted data packet:
DU>     length: 32
DU>   gpg: encrypted with 1 passphrase
DU>   :compressed packet: algo=1
DU>   :literal data packet:
DU>     mode b (62), created 1309372527, name="aaa.txt",
DU>     raw data: 4 bytes
DU>   gpg: WARNING: message was not integrity protected

DU> So there is actually four packets.  Also, you could drop the support of
DU> compression.

Compression is specifically recommended by the RFC, so it's hard to
justify skipping it.

I'm really not eager to write a pile of C to implement this, even if
it's just 4 packets.  The math is not trivial and getting any of the
details wrong is too easy for me--my knowledge of cryptography is too
shallow.  I agree it would be nice and *many* parts of Emacs could use
the OpenPGP message format if internal support were available, but I
would rather use a library that write new code.

So, are there any libraries that will do what GPGME does, but as a real
library and not a shim, creating a stream of OpenPGP packets and
optionally ASCII-armoring them?

Ted