Re: Changing the default for `send-mail-function'

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Changing the default for `send-mail-function'
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 00:15:45 -0400

> That is, if we change this to:

> (defcustom send-mail-function 'query)

> Then the next time a user sends email, they'll get queried, and will
> choose one value, which will then be stored in .emacs (via customize).

> So, basically, all Emacs users will have a setting for this variable
> stored after a while.

> We then can't change the default of `send-mail-function' to a new,
> fabulous function in the future that we have determined will solve all
> out problem, and we should default to instead.  :-)

Good point.  Here's a solution:

- set the default to smtpmail-send-it.
- If smtpmail is not configured, it can then start by prompting whether
  the user actually wants to use something else (either his MUA or his
  MTA), and if not then goes on prompting for smtpmail configuration.

BTW, we should push the fd.o or gconf guys to provide some centralized
configuration of email, so that all MUAs (including Gnus, Thunderbird,
...) can share info about how to send email, where to fetch it, ...

        Stefan