Re: GPGME

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: GPGME
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 06:56:57 -0500

On Tue, 28 Jun 2011 06:47:09 +0900 Daiki Ueno <address@hidden> wrote:

DU> Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:
>> I hope Daiki Ueno could consider augmenting EPA/EPG with
>> http://www.gnupg.org/related_software/gpgme/index.en.html, which is a
>> library specifically designed so we can talk to GPG directly and
>> securely through C.

DU> AFAIK, GPGME is a wrapper library which just calls gpg command
DU> internally, and actually EPG is initially designed as a port of GPGME in
DU> elisp (see the info).  I don't expect much differences if the caller
DU> part is written in C.

Oh, I see.  Thank you for explaining.  That's too bad!

Are there any alternatives?  Maybe you remember our discussion years ago
about encrypt.el, where I proposed a neutral API with at least some
symmetric ciphers implemented in ELisp and C in the Emacs core
(essentially what Lars was requesting).  Could something like that work
within the EPA/EPG structure, so some special invocation of
`epg-encrypt-string' could bypass the external callout to GPG?

Thank you
Ted