Re: Changing the default for `send-mail-function'

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Changing the default for `send-mail-function'
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 01:22:35 -0400

> Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 14:20:11 +1000
> From: Tim Cross <address@hidden>
>
> If smtpmail-send-it can be setup to
> default to the local MTA and handle local MTAs which don't bind to
> localhost:25

That might be possible on systems that normally have an MTA.  Windows
systems generally don't, they only have an MUA (or MUA+MSA, to be
precise) which is configured correctly in 99% of cases I saw.

> If the default can be changed, but the change has no 'real' impact on the
> user, then its not a problem. However, if changing the default means the
> user needs to do additional configuration, we need to minimise that pain to
> help them migrate.

On many Windows systems, the MUA is configured by some tech guy, or by
the user that follows written instructions to the letter.  In the
latter case, the instructions are only valid for whatever mailer is
installed, and won't help in configuring smtpmail, unless the user
understands at least a little about SMTP and its authentication
options.  People who don't normally use Emacs as their MUA might not
know all this and in fact could be oblivious to the possibility that
Emacs can serve as a MUA.  When such users want to report a bug, we
don't want to annoy them with configuring smtpmail.

> Many of the other suggestions in this thread have some merit, but I think
> are largely a distraction from the main issue - how to change the default
> with minimal impact on established user expectations.

I think we need to consider 2 use cases here:

 . using Emacs as MUA

 . reporting a bug via "M-x report-emacs-bug"

Both of these are important, but the considerations and the target
audiences are different.