Re: Changing the default for `send-mail-function'

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Changing the default for `send-mail-function'
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 22:05:30 +0200

Chong Yidong <address@hidden> writes:

> Backtrace below.  The issue is that the mail server is set up to reject
> plain SMTP connections not originating from their own network.  External
> connections are supposed to use authenticated SMTP.
>
> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Sending failed: 550 5.7.1
> <address@hidden>... Relaying denied.See

Right; it's getting the expected error message, but:

[...]

> 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES^M
> 250-PIPELINING^M
> 250-8BITMIME^M
> 250-SIZE 20971520^M
> 250-DSN^M
> 250-STARTTLS^M
> 250-DELIVERBY^M
> 250 HELP^M

It hasn't announced AUTH, so it's not tried.  And it's not offered AUTH
because it hasn't switched on STARTTLS.  But it's clearly announcing
STARTTLS, so it should be switching on STARTTLS.

So what could me making it not trying STARTTLS?  Do you have neither
compiled-in gnutls support nor gnutls-cli installed?