Re: Buffer names with R2L characters

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Buffer names with R2L characters
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 10:28:25 -0400

> From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden,
>     address@hidden
> Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 17:44:05 +0900
>
>  > There's no major mode here to help us DTRT with a string that is part
>  > of the mode line.
>
> Sure there is, "mode line mode". ;-)  Mode lines have a syntax, and so
> do buffer-names (when uniquifying).

I think the difference is significant.  Mode line in Emacs is fully
programmable, and can be programmed to display anything in any order
and form.  There are much less rules here than in any major mode,
because the latter is constrained by externally imposed rules of the
"language" supported by the mode.  By contrast, I can program my mode
line to break any and all "syntax" that users of the default
mode-line-format are used to.  Even uniquifying buffer names can be
done in several different flavors, out of the box.

Anyway, I'm perfectly happy to leave the display of such names as the
UBA would have them, and mark this as a temporarily missing feature.
At least the MS-Windows file manager displays such names the same
(cannot test on GNU/Linux where I'm typing this), so we have nothing
to be ashamed of.

Btw, the numbered backup files suffer from the same problem, their
buffer names are displayed as 1~.RABOOF~ instead of ~1~.RABOOF.  So
it's not just the duplicate file names that will trigger this.