Re: What level to put STARTTLS certificates

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: What level to put STARTTLS certificates
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 23:25:09 +0200

Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:

> Why do you need a file: prefix?  It should only work with local files
> (we pass the file names in `gnutls-boot' to GnuTLS with
> `gnutls_certificate_set_x509_key_file' so remote files can't work).  We
> could support inlined certificates I guess, but it seems like it's
> better to assume the token is a file name and extend it later.  It's by
> far the most common case and the only one gnutls.c supports right now.

It's probably over-engineering.  I was thinking that perhaps, possibly,
it would make sense to allow any credential to be either gpg:, file: or
nothing, which would be the literal string.

So you could say "password file:~/.foo" if you wanted to, if you (say)
had some kind of system that generated passwords per Emacs session or
something.

So adding a file: name space would make it possible to extend the format
unambiguously if something like that would be useful.  But it would
probably not be useful.  :-)