What level to put STARTTLS certificates

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: What level to put STARTTLS certificates
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 20:29:28 +0200

I've started rewriting the TLS/auth stuff in smtpmail.el.

Today smtpmail has the following variable:

;;(setq smtpmail-starttls-credentials
;;      '(("YOUR SMTP HOST" 25 "~/.my_smtp_tls.key" "~/.my_smtp_tls.cert")))

But it strikes me that this is probably on the totally wrong level.  I
mean, any TLS connection can have user keys/certs connected to them, so
it seems to me that the right level to control this is on the
network-stream.el level, and not on the
smtpmail.el/pop3.el/nntp.el/imap.el level.

So I think I'll get rid of that variable, and put this stuff into
network-stream.el instead.

This won't be backwards-compatible, but should be easy for the (few)
users to fix up themselves.

I'm thinking the right place to stash this is in ~/.authinfo, since
these are credentials.  The format will be

machine smtp.gmail.com port 587 tls-key file:~/.my_smtp_tls.key tls-cert
file:~/.my_smtp_tls.cert

Any objections?

Also, since I'm away Friday to Monday, I won't be committing any of this
stuff until Tuesday, when I can be more responsive to complaints about
missing bugs in the new code.  :-)