Please don't refer to Emacs as "open source"

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Please don't refer to Emacs as "open source"
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 15:59:24 -0400

Emacs is not intended to be open source, but rather free/libre
software.  We have developed it for freedom's sake, and we want people
to know this.  Referring to Emacs as "open source" tends to cover up
our ethical values up behind a different view that only cites
practical values.

See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.html
for more explanation of the difference between free software and open
source.

If you would like our participation in this study, please agree to
give the free software movement equal mention in the study's report.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation