Now: Emacs<->Mozilla Integration -- Was: Re: Feature change or bug - Ema

From: Mohsen BANAN
Subject: Now: Emacs<->Mozilla Integration -- Was: Re: Feature change or bug - Emacs server
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2011 21:53:50 -0700

  Tim> For emacs to really be a good desktop environment in this age, I think
it must
  Tim> have the ability to provide access to rich web content - content that
uses
  Tim> javascript, html5 etc. It would seem there are two possible approaches
to this
  Tim> - do the necessary work in emacs or provide some mechanism that would
allow
  Tim> emacs to access and possibly manipulate data that is already partially
  Tim> processed by a web browser such as firefox or chromium.

This is right on the mark.

And is consistent with what I meant earlier by
calling Emacs and Mozilla as joint sisters.

Below are my notes for add-on packages that I
include in firefox to provide some level of
integration with emacs.

The model of mozrepl is particularly promising.

  http://wiki.github.com/bard/mozrepl/

Mozrepl permits considering Mozilla as an emacs coprocess.
Where emacs can execute javascript inside of
mozilla. So, all we need is a lisp interpreter
written in javascript. We can then view Mozilla as
a renderer and an extension of emacs.

I know that people have tried building a lisp
interpreter in javascript, but as far as I know
such a thing does not exist yet.

I am very interested in knowing people's thoughts
on this approach.

...Mohsen

(defun blee:blee:doc:howto:browser:config-desc ()
  "

\\subsection{Browser (Mozilla/Firefox) Configuration for BLEE}

\\begin{verbatim}

CONFIGURATION
=============

Major Packages Used Are:
 - httpheaders:    mozmail.el plus about:config protocol ...
 - firemacs:       Emacs Keyboard Mapping
 - mozex:          Textbox editing, Source View, Send Email, Send Link (does
not work)
 - It's All Text:  Textbox Editing
 - mozmail:        mozmail.el plus gnome prefered application
 - mozrepl:        Control the browser with javascript from inside

Live HTTP Headers
-----------------
--- View HTTP headers of a page and while browsing. (Used for Plone Reverse
Engineering) ---
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/live-http-headers/
Click -- Add to Firefox

FIREMACS Installation
---------------------
--- Emacs Key Bindings for Mozilla/Firefox ---
download firemacs
Click -- Add to Firefox
Click -- Install Now
Click -- Restart Firefox
After Install Verify --  Firefox/Tools/Add-Ons/Extensions/Firemacs

plugin: It's All Text -- Text Box Editor (Replaces Mozex)

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/its-all-text/contribute/roadblock/?src=addondetail&version=1.5

Tools -> It's All Text -> Preferences

    Editor=/usr/bin/emacsclient

When done with the buffer, C-X #

MOZREPL
-------

- http://wiki.github.com/bard/mozrepl/

Install the released version  -- Click on Allow

In Firefox go to Tools -> MozRepl -> Activate on Startup

about:config

view_source.editor.external (toggle it -- right mouse)

view_source.editor.path (/usr/bin/emacsclient)  -- leave .editor.args empty

Send Link -- For MOZMAIL -- On The Browser Side:

On The Desktop of the target machine -- NOT REMOTELEY

Go To:  Gnome (Desktop) -> System -> Preferences -> Preferred Applications ==
Mail Reader Custom
   Command: /opt/public/osmt/bin/lcaMozillaProc.sh -p url=%s -i SendLink
   Select Run in Terminal

TESTING YOUR BROWSER ENVIRONMENT:
---------------------------------

A) (FIREMACS) Emacs Key Bindings
   Try C-s instead of find

B) Edit a Box
   Should See The (edit) option under the box

C) View Sources
   View > Page Source  (make sure that (server-start) was done on emacs side)
   Should Throw you in emacs

D) MozRepl

E) (MOZMAIL)
   1- On The Emacs side run M-x server-start -- (server-start)
   2) Get Some Sample Addresses From
      http://mc-computing.com/HTML_Examples/MailTo.htm
   3) Click on one of the mailto: addresses

USEFUL INFO:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/About:config_Entries

OBSOLETED - JUNKYARD - HISTORIC:
================================

Plugin: MOZEX -- OBSOLETED by it's all text
http://mozex.mozdev.org/installation.html
## (Not Normally Used )http://mozex.mozdev.org/development.html

Under *NIX installation
Click -- here
Click -- ALLOW
Click -- Install Now
Click -- Restart Firefox

After Install Verify -- Firefox/Tools/Add-Ons/Extensions/Mozex 1.9.9
After Restart
Right Mouse Click
Mozex-Configration
Textarea
    Text editor: /usr/bin/emacsclient.emacs-snapshot %t
Source
    Source editor: /usr/bin/emacsclient.emacs-snapshot %t
close window

B) (MOZEX)
   1- On The Emacs side run M-x server-start -- (server-start)
   2- On The Browser Side -- Right Mouse Click - Mozex - View Page Source

\\end{verbatim}

"
  (interactive)
  )