Re: Display question

From: Michael Welsh Duggan
Subject: Re: Display question
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2011 15:10:06 -0400

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: Michael Welsh Duggan <address@hidden>
>> Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2011 09:13:20 -0400
>> Cc: address@hidden
>>
>> (I was playing around with ideas on how to display and undisplay bidi control
>> characters, as you might have guessed.)
>
> It might be a good idea to have a minor mode that would show the
> directional formatting codes in such a human-readable form.  Please
> consider contributing such a mode.  TIA.

So, for the most part it looks like

(update-glyphless-char-display
 'glyphless-char-display-control
 '((format-control . acronym) (no-font . hex-code)))

does what I want.  But the nature of glyphless-char-display is that of a
global variable, as opposed to a buffer-local variable, and making this
variable buffer local and doing a vector-based copy-tree of the original
doesn't cause a buffer-local effect.  I don't know necessarily think
that declaring glyphless-char-display with DEFVAR_PER_BUFFER is
necessarily the right solution.  Presumably it->object would be the
buffer in question in lookup_glyphless_char_display, so getting the
buffer local value would be possible, but honestly if we were to want to
used the buffer local value, it should be cached at the beginning of the
display of the buffer.

Thoughts?

--
Michael Welsh Duggan