Re: Error from automake.sg

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: Error from automake.sg
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2011 13:30:42 -0400

(You keep replying just to me. I don't know if this is intentional, but
I suggest you include the mailing list because I am running out of ideas.)

Richard Stallman wrote (on Thu, 9 Jun 2011 at 10:57 -0400):

> Deleting those files did not help.  I still get the same error message.

At this point, I can only guess that your autotools installation is
messed up. What do the following report:

autoconf --version
autoheader --version

The versions should match, if not, reinstall autoconf (which provides both).

Similarly with:

automake --version
aclocal --version

If these don't match, reinstall automake (which provides both).

You might also check if you have multiple versions of these tools in
your PATH. Eg, `which -a aclocal'.

You might also check for any AUTOCONF etc environment variable
settings. Eg, `set | grep AUTO'.

Finally, if you want to run the commands individually, the sequence is:

aclocal -I m4
autoconf
autoheader
automake --gnu -a -c lib/Makefile

(But the previously mentioned autoreconf command should be doing all
that for you.)