Re: Opportunistic STARTTLS in smtpmail.el

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Opportunistic STARTTLS in smtpmail.el
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2011 23:48:50 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

> Oh, right, it should be smtpmail-use-auth.

I don't think that's necessary.

Here's my vision of how this would work for a person using Emacs 24 to
send an email for the first time.

1) smtpmail would see that there's no host setup, so it would prompt the
user for the SMTP host and store it via customize.

2) smtpmail connects to the server, and possibly does STARTTLS

III) It sees whether the server says that it accepts AUTH or not.  If it
does, smtpmail then asks auth-source for credentials.  There will be
none there, probably

d) smtpmail does MAIL FROM, RCPT TO and DATA, and sees whether that was
successful.  If it is, we're done.

5) If we get a 5xx relay denied, we then ask auth-source to query the
user for user name and password, and then gives the server the AUTH, and
try again.  If it's successful, we're done.  If not, we give up.

Subsequent mails will be similar, only that we will know that we have
auth, so we do AUTH immediately.

I think we can pretty much get away with zero conf here.