Re: BBDB in the GNU ELPA

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: BBDB in the GNU ELPA
Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 07:57:13 -0500

On Sat, 28 May 2011 10:57:03 -0400 Bernt Hansen <address@hidden> wrote:

BH> Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:
>> On Thu, 26 May 2011 09:27:05 +0200 address@hidden wrote:

j> While bbdb is the most mature it can't be included in Emacs AFAICS.

>> It's on my TODO list to look through the BBDB 3.0 Git repository on
>> Savannah and track down all the contributors for the current source, get
>> papers from them, and then put BBDB on the GNU ELPA.  Apologies to
>> everyone who's waiting on me for this, especially Roland Winkler, the
>> current BBDB maintainer, who's been very patient.
>>
>> If anyone wants to help with this task, it would be greatly appreciated.
>> It's not hard work, just time-consuming and I haven't found the time.

BH> git shortlog -e --summary

BH> should give you a list of all of the contributors on the project.

It does.  But that's not useful when you're trying to find out who wrote
the last verstion of a specific function or even a single line.

`git blame' is the best way I know but I need to track content across
files, so it gets pretty tough even with that tool's support for
tracking content.  I wrote some scripts to parse the "porcelain" output
of `git blame' and the -w (ignore whitespace) flag is vital, but it's a
lot of tedious work nevertheless.

Ted