Re: Emacs as a desktop environment

From: Nix
Subject: Re: Emacs as a desktop environment
Date: Sat, 28 May 2011 11:44:07 +0100

On 28 May 2011, Thien-Thi Nguyen spake thusly:

> () Nix <address@hidden>
> () Sat, 28 May 2011 01:09:33 +0100
>
>    These days (Xlib 1.4.x+),
>    everything goes through XCB, and a huge number of bugs have simply
>    vanished as a result. I strongly suspect that this is one of them.
>
> So i guess it would behoove Emacs to move to XCB as well?

It's using higher-level toolkits. It's their job to move to XCB, really.
XCB's primary benefit (other tham simplicity) is that it exposes the
asynchronous nature of the X protocol, and since Emacs is notably not
asynchronous, I'm not sure how much it would benefit.

(The huge number of bugs that vanished from Xlib when Xlib moved to XCB
will also of course no longer trouble clients of Xlib.)

--
NULL && (void)