Re: completion-ui and other packages in GNU ELPA

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: completion-ui and other packages in GNU ELPA
Date: Fri, 27 May 2011 20:14:53 -0300

>> How do you feel about installing some of your packages into the
>> GNU ELPA?  I think completion-ui is a good candidate but probably
>> several others as well (undo-tree, predictive).

> I'd be happy to. I see there's a new section in the Elisp manual on how
> to prepare packages for ELPA. Presumably I need to follow the
> instructions there, and send the resulting package to you (or someone
> else?) to install?

Sounds about right.

> How are package updates be handled? Same way? (I googled, but didn't
> find a clear description of the procedure, only archived mailing
> list discussions.)

That's a good question.  Currently packages are basically installed into
the `elpa' branch as is.  We could give you write access there so you
can install updates and even use it as your official repository.
But maybe we should come up with a plan so we can give separate branches
per-package rather than one big branch with all the packages in it, so
as to make it easier for package maintainers to manage their packages.

> If it's OK with you, it would probably be easier for me to package
> undo-tree first, to get the hang of things, as it's a single-file
> package. Once I've understood how it's supposed to work in the simpler
> case of undo-tree, I can move on to the multi-file completion-UI and
> predictive packages.

Fine by me.  Single-file packages are trivial to package.

As for your avl-tree.el changes, I've just installed them.  Thanks,

        Stefan