Re: git source mirrors inactive

From: Andreas Röhler
Subject: Re: git source mirrors inactive
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 12:58:53 +0200

Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 10:06:37 +0200
From: Andreas Röhler<address@hidden>
Cc: Stefan Monnier<address@hidden>,
        Emacs developers<address@hidden>

Thanks, below still an example pointing at the convenience of working
from git:

# time git log -n 2 python.el
[...]
real    0m0.122s
user    0m0.020s
sys     0m0.024s

# time bzr log -l 2 python.el
[...]
real    0m29.459s
user    0m24.554s
sys     0m0.716s

It is meaningless to pick up a random command and compare based on
that command alone.  Here's another meaningless comparison:

   address@hidden:~/bzr/emacs/trunk$ time bzr annotate src/xdisp.c>  /dev/null
   real    1m43.832s
   user    1m25.740s
   sys     0m3.110s
   address@hidden:~/git/emacs$ time git annotate src/xdisp.c>  /dev/null
   real    5m9.646s
   user    4m18.400s
   sys     0m3.580s

I don't know how frequently you need to know the last 2 changes of
python.el, but the number of times I needed to annotate xdisp.c during
the last 2 years is about twice a week.  I will gladly trade a 29-sec
wait for 3.5 min wait.  YMMV.

Interesting, thanks.

BTW found a text discussing that as special slowness in git, with some recommendation to work around

http://ondioline.org/mail/bitkeeper-and-the-genesis-of-git

As for the daily work indeed I have a look quite often at the last commits.

Andreas