Re: git source mirrors inactive

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: git source mirrors inactive
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 06:16:33 -0400

> Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 10:06:37 +0200
> From: Andreas Röhler <address@hidden>
> Cc: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>,
>       Emacs developers <address@hidden>
>
> Thanks, below still an example pointing at the convenience of working
> from git:
>
> # time git log -n 2 python.el
> [...]
> real  0m0.122s
> user  0m0.020s
> sys   0m0.024s
>
> # time bzr log -l 2 python.el
> [...]
> real  0m29.459s
> user  0m24.554s
> sys   0m0.716s

It is meaningless to pick up a random command and compare based on
that command alone.  Here's another meaningless comparison:

  address@hidden:~/bzr/emacs/trunk$ time bzr annotate src/xdisp.c > /dev/null
  real    1m43.832s
  user    1m25.740s
  sys     0m3.110s
  address@hidden:~/git/emacs$ time git annotate src/xdisp.c > /dev/null
  real    5m9.646s
  user    4m18.400s
  sys     0m3.580s

I don't know how frequently you need to know the last 2 changes of
python.el, but the number of times I needed to annotate xdisp.c during
the last 2 years is about twice a week.  I will gladly trade a 29-sec
wait for 3.5 min wait.  YMMV.