Re: Emacs as a desktop environment

From: joakim
Subject: Re: Emacs as a desktop environment
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 09:27:05 +0200

Ken Raeburn <address@hidden> writes:

> On May 25, 2011, at 18:08, Nix wrote:
>> On 25 May 2011, Ken Raeburn spake thusly:
>>
>>>  ** address book I don't care about too much, so far, but it'd be a plus
>>
>> This sort of thing is exactly what BBDB is for. You do need an
>> additional keybinding, though:
>
> I'd probably want to use the data (whether by syncing to BBDB or accessing
> directly) that's in the Zimbra address book for my account, though.
>
> On my home system, I'd definitely want what's in the Mac Address Book app,
> which other software keeps in sync with my phone and laptop.  Or at MIT,
> maybe what's in the LDAP server with MIT-wide account info.  Or, I expect, a
> lot of people would want contact lists already maintained in their Google
> accounts to be used.  Etc.  Maybe EUDC has some of what I want...
>
> Ken

We appear to now have 3 or 4 emacs address books.
- org-contacts
- abook

- 2 bbdb variants

While bbdb is the most mature it can't be included in Emacs AFAICS.
org-contacts is comming along and could possibly be a part of
org and thus included in Emacs. abook stores data in vcards which is
good for interoperability. I think we should get these into ELPA but
this would be the topic for another thread.

--
Joakim Verona