Re: more url-utils?

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: more url-utils?
Date: Mon, 16 May 2011 16:18:02 -0500

On Mon, 16 May 2011 23:07:49 +0200 address@hidden wrote:

j> Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:
SM> That sounds right.
>>> ...so can I go ahead with my proposal or would you rather be
>>> conservative and keep the old behavior, making API users turn off
>>> headers explicitly?
>>
>> There are 3 parts.
>> - removal of header text.
>> - backward compatibility.
>> - providing header info in a non-textual format.
>>
>> All three are important.

j> Teds proposal addresses all three concerns right?
j> - The new API does what coders expect, no information is lost
j> - the old api is retained but marked obsolete
j> - headers are accessible in alist format

j> Its more work but Teds volunteered to do it. Great!

I don't think marking the old API obsolete will preserve backwards
compatibility.  But if Stefan thinks so, I'll do it according to my
proposal.  Otherwise he'll have to decide what the API will be.

I don't mind the extra work if it improves Emacs.  Right now using
url-*.el to just get some data is pretty painful compared to Perl's LWP,
for instance.

Ted