Re: idn.el and confusables.txt

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: idn.el and confusables.txt
Date: Sun, 15 May 2011 22:06:23 +0900

In article <address@hidden>, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> You see, the uni-*.el files we create out of the Unicode DB are not
> used anywhere in application code, AFAIK.  We use them to display
> character properties in the likes of "C-u C-x =", and that's it.

composite.el uses `general-category' and `canonical-combining-class'.
ucs-normalize.el uses `decomposition' and `canonical-combining-class'.
mule-cmds.el uses `name' and `old-name' for read-char-by-name.

> I'm
> not even sure they are organized in a way that makes them useful.
> E.g., when I needed to use the Unicode bidirectional properties for
> bidi reordering, I eventually was forced to create my own tables (see
> src/biditype.h and src/bidimirror.h, and the corresponding Awk scripts
> in admin/unidata/) which lend themselves well to using them in
> real-life code.

Why did you have to create another table?  Was it because
get-char-code-property is defiend by Lisp and not efficient
to call from C?

---
Kenichi Handa
address@hidden