Re: Any objection to adding a unicode footnote style? (encoding fixed)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Any objection to adding a unicode footnote style? (encoding fixed)
Date: Mon, 09 May 2011 10:06:06 +0300

> From: Leo <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 09 May 2011 12:26:55 +0800
>
> Sorry for sending a diff with mixed encodings. It is now split into
> two parts:
>            1. convert footnote.el to utf-8
>            2. diff (attached)

Thanks, now I can read it.

I don't really mind (as I don't use footnote-mode), but this will look
quite ugly if the default font doesn't have the Unicode superscript
characters.  In that case, Emacs will use a different font to draw
just the Unicode characters, which will result in 1, 2, and 3 drawn a
bit lower than the other digits, or wider, or both.  Depending on the
default font, it could also be that 0, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9 will be
drawn taller than the others.

Are we willing to bet that the default font is a Unicode font for most
users?  If not, perhaps at least some caveat in the doc string is in
order.