Re: Emacs source snapshots

From: chad
Subject: Re: Emacs source snapshots
Date: Thu, 5 May 2011 16:29:02 -0700

On May 5, 2011, at 12:39 PM, Ted Zlatanov wrote:

> We just had a long outage of the Git mirror.  Let's not say it is a
> viable way to obtain Emacs source snapshots.  It's not.
>
> The Bazaar export command I showed is the best way to get a snapshot of
> the trunk without getting the whole repository, using only Bazaar itself
> without any external dependencies (you only need Bazaar installed).
>
> It seems unoptimized currently (so the actual download is large) but at
> least it's guaranteed to work and can be hosted somewhere.
>
> Ted

The lightweight checkout method I mentioned seems to work without
downloading so much, and gives a working albeit slow history, using
only bzr.

I just tried it now:

        ; bzr checkout --lightweight http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/r/emacs/trunk/
        ; du -sk trunk/
        120064  trunk/

for comparison, my normal checkout with history:

        ; du -sk trunk .bzr
        120256  trunk
        388052  .bzr

For annoying reasons, I didn't capture exactly how much bzr reported
as downloading, but it seemed to be about 200m.

Hope that helps,
*Chad