Re: Limited-access technical advice

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Limited-access technical advice
Date: Tue, 3 May 2011 22:43:49 +0200

On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 10:18 PM, Christophe Poncy <address@hidden> wrote:

>>> And there's no way to manage your subscription without Gmail.
>>
>> Do you mean without a Google Account, or? Maybe that is a
>> disadvantage, maybe not.
>>
> Yes, I meant without a Google Account, I don't want to create one just to
> manage the subscription...

If it is a big problem for you to get a Google Account then of course
Google Groups are not that good for you.

However I appreciate that it works very well both as a web forum and a
mailing list at the same time.

You can use the web forum without using a mouse for example. And the
interface is visually good (at least for me).

And for me, using Swedish language in some groups, it is good that
they have understood what is technically necessary to handle and mix
messages based on utf-8, latin-1 etc. (Some other big mailing lists,
i.e. yahoo, that can acts as web forums too fails very badly on this.)

I do not say this as an advertisement for Google (though I now always
use Google groups whenever I need to create a mailing list). I am just
saying "look, here is a good example of how mailing lists+web forum
could work!".