Re: tabulated-list-init-header and glyphless-char-display

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: tabulated-list-init-header and glyphless-char-display
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2011 22:27:41 +0300

> From: Chong Yidong <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
> Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2011 14:39:15 -0400
>
> Suppose we make the *Process List* buffer and display it in a GUI
> terminal.  Then, we create a text terminal in the same Emacs session,
> and display that same buffer in the text terminal.
>
> The buffer has to display correctly, without a priori knowledge of the
> terminal(s) on which it is to be displayed.
>
> Therefore, checking unencodable-char-position at buffer creation time
> does not work.  The fallback behavior has to be done at redisplay time.

So we are going to invent a new display feature, just to display 2
fancy characters in a specialized mode buffer, and in a way that will
support simultaneous display in several different display types?  I'd
say it's an overkill.  Perhaps we should simply compromise and use
ASCII art, or no indication at all.