Re: /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r103850: update_autogen

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r103850: update_autogen
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2011 11:26:07 -0700

On 04/07/2011 09:28 AM, Glenn Morris wrote:

>> Tim Van Holder privately complained to me
>> at Wed, 06 Apr 2011 10:28:12 +0200
>> that the bzr tip didn't build without it.
>
> I build Emacs just fine with autoconf 2.65, so I'd like to see a bug
> report as to what the problem is supposed to be.

His problem was independent of autoconf versions; it had to do
with the new config.in and configure being needed in order to generate
the proper symbols that the new src/*.c files were using.  He didn't
have a proper autoconf on his platform, and so was relying on the
fallback copies of config.in and configure that are checked in somewhere
else.

>> Would it be a lot of hassle to have the fencepost cron job use
>> Autoconf 2.68?
>
> No, but I don't see why it should bother if configure.in does not
> require such a version.

Well, for one thing, we'll avoid unnecessary churning due only
to Autoconf version skew.  :-)  If we're going to use some
Autoconf version for the cron job, we might as well use the
latest stable version, since it generates a bit better output.

Again, it's no big deal, as maintainers should be expected to
work around any of these issues.  I do hope, though, that the
latest Autoconf is used whenever we make a tarball intended for
non-maintainers.