Re: no gnus registry new dependency on ert?

From: David Engster
Subject: Re: no gnus registry new dependency on ert?
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2011 17:03:50 +0200

David Engster writes:
> Ted Zlatanov writes:
>> On Wed, 06 Apr 2011 15:28:07 +0200 David Engster <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> DE> It seems like putting (require 'ert) into an eval-when-compile is not
>
>> DE> sufficient. You have to require it unconditionally.
>>
>> DE> So maybe your first idea was The Right Thing To Do, meaning to use
>>
>> DE> (require 'ert nil t)
>>
>> DE> and then test for feature 'ert. Alternatively, you could use the current
>> DE> hack and put this require in there, too. But this is getting
>> DE> increasingly ugly...
>>
>> See the attached patch, which just adds (require 'ert nil t) *in
>> addition* to the defmacro hack.  It seems to DTRT for me, let me know
>> what you think.
>
> Yes, that's what I meant with the latter suggestion. I'm not sure if
> this is the right way to solve this, but it works for me, too.

Addendum: Maybe the "real" solution is to have the tests in a separate
file, so that a (require 'registry) won't instantiate the ERT tests. I
can see why having the tests in the file itself can be convenient, but
usually, test-suites are separated from the actual code? Anyway, I don't
really have a strong opinion on this.

-David