Re: Completion: minibuffer.el vs comint.el

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Completion: minibuffer.el vs comint.el
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 09:39:30 -0400

> The dedicated window method works well for displaying a buffer in a
> separate frame or a new window.

But that's exactly what we do currently: mark the window dedicated if
and only if the window was created for this buffer.

> It can't be used when a window is reused for displaying the buffer.

Indeed we don't mark it dedicated when we reuse a window.

> In my branch `display-buffer' always records the previous state and
> burying the buffer or quitting the window conveniently restores the
> previous state.

Not sure what "state" this includes, so maybe it's a good idea, but
I haven't seen many complaints about the current behavior in this respect.

        Stefan