Re: user-controlled load-path extension: load-dir

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: user-controlled load-path extension: load-dir
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2011 09:15:31 -0500

On Sat, 19 Mar 2011 00:10:26 -0400 Ben Key <address@hidden> wrote:

BK>    1. Each of the defcustom items now has a require property.  The main
BK>    benefit of this is that a user may now simply place load-dir.el in their
BK>    load path, use M-x load-library to load 'load-dir' and then do a M-x
BK>    customize-group to customize the 'load-dir' group, customize load-dirs,
and
BK>    restart Emacs.  There is no need to also manually edit their .emacs file
BK>    add a '(require 'load-dir)' in order to actually cause Emacs to load
BK>    load-dir.el.

Cool.

BK>    2. Modified the load-dirs defcustom so that it can now accept several
BK>    types via the "Value Menu" customize feature.
BK>       1. nil, the default value, effectively causes load-dir.el to do
BK>       nothing.
BK>       2. t causes the default directory of ~/.emacs.d/load.d to be used
BK>       (saves typing).
BK>       3. A single directory causes files in that directory to be loaded.
BK>       4. A list of directories causes all files in every directory in the
BK>       list to be loaded.

I added :tag properties too so it looks nice in Customize and changed
the double `if' you had to handle these load-dirs variations to a
`cond'.  But yeah, this is a good change.  I was thinking that maybe
~/.emacs.d/load.d should be customizable (it shows up in 3 places and
may need to vary on W32) but it works either way.

On Sat, 19 Mar 2011 14:29:30 +0100 Juanma Barranquero <address@hidden> wrote:

JB> (defcustom load-dir-recursive nil
JB>   "List of directories to load."

JB> That docstring can't possibly be right :-)

Thanks, fixed.  Version 0.0.2 attached for your review.

Ted