Re: completion-list-mode-map

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: completion-list-mode-map
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 22:22:31 -0400

> Is there a specific reason why `completion-list-mode-map' does not have
> the parent map `special-mode-map'?

Mostly that special-mode-map is "recent" and we haven't changed all the
code to use it yet.

> It seems a little inconsistent that other command like `h' or `?' are
> not available in a completion-list buffer and `z' and `q' are redefined
> in `completion-list-mode-map'.

> Also, I changed the definition of `completion-list-mode-map' as follows:

> (defvar completion-list-mode-map
>   (let ((map (make-sparse-keymap)))
>     (set-keymap-parent map special-mode-map)
>     (define-key map [mouse-2] 'mouse-choose-completion)
> [...]

You might instead define completion-list-mode to derive from
special-mode rather than nil.

> and reloaded, even byte-recompiled simple.el, and ultimately restarted
> Emacs but for some reason Emacs would still show the old version of the
> map with `C-h v completion-list-mode-map'. Any idea why?

Reloading simple.el doesn't do it, because `defvar' has no effect if the
variable is already defined (hitting C-M-x with point inside the defvar
OTOH has special code to redefine the variable).
Recompiling simple.el and restarting Emacs doesn't make a difference
betwen simple.elc is preloaded in the `emacs' executable, so you'd then
need to rebuild `emacs' (which is built by running `temacs', loading
some files and then "dumping" the result to the `emacs' file).

        Stefan