Re: Emacs-diffs Digest, Vol 100, Issue 28

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: Emacs-diffs Digest, Vol 100, Issue 28
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2011 02:57:58 -0500

Karl Berry wrote:

> What I can tell you is that texinfo.tex is currently limited to the
> Computer Modern fonts and a few extras.  So most Latin-based languages
> are more or less ok.

That's all we are talking about at the moment.

> Anything using other scripts -- Cyrillic, Greek, Indian, Chinese,
> Arabic, Urdu, whatever -- is not going to work. You might not get an
> error from TeX but you won't get any useful output either. I suggest
> checking the .log for "missing character" messages.

There aren't any such scripts in the files.

I checked the TeX .log on RHEL5 (makeinfo 4.8) - no such messages. (No
such messages on the ancient RHEL4 with makeinfo 4.7 either; but there
are a few "Font ecrm1095 at 603 not found" things there). No problems on
Debian testing either. Debian stable has texinfo 4.13 so I wouldn't
expect any problems there either.

So I don't believe the production of pdfs is a factor in whether this
particular change is worth making or not.