Re: user-controlled load-path extension: load-dir

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: user-controlled load-path extension: load-dir
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2011 08:06:16 +0100

Ted Zlatanov skrev 2011-03-08 22:38:
On Tue, 08 Mar 2011 15:59:51 -0500 Stefan Monnier<address@hidden>  wrote:

SM>  If you're really talking about configuration code rather than packages,
SM>  then I tend to assume that people whose .emacs is so large as to need
SM>  modularization can figure out which kind of modularization they want and
SM>  implement (or copy&paste) the corresponding loop to load the various files.

Yes, but you're assuming managing configuration modules in monolithic
Emacs Lisp is the best way.  Give us something simple and easy to manage
the loop at the filesystem level, so we don't have to write it
ourselves.

SM>  I'm not even sure why you'd want to "modularize" in this way: my .emacs
SM>  was fairly large but splitting it into separate files never seemed like
SM>  a good way to help, since I'd then have to figure out how to make C-s
SM>  and M-/ find matches in neighboring files.  Instead I "split" it with
SM>  outline-minor-mode.

For me it works better.  I like small files; outline-minor-mode and
folding-mode don't work for me.  I suspect I'm not the only one.  See
the URLs above for a list of similar needs.

As others have said, I was also suprised that dropping a .el-fil in ~/emacs.d didn't load it by default. My emacs is quite big and I'd love to split it up. Another thing I really would like is for customize to save its stuff in its own file and not in my .emacs. With a load-dir this would be trivial.

There is a real need an packages isn't it. Its like wanting a rowing boat and told to use the latest battle ship instead.

        Jan D.