Re: user-controlled load-path extension: load-dir

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: user-controlled load-path extension: load-dir
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2011 13:54:21 -0600

On Fri, 04 Mar 2011 20:45:45 +0100 Dimitri Fontaine <address@hidden> wrote:

DF> What's proposed in this thread is a way for el-get to bootstrap
DF> itself in a user's setup without having to edit the user's init
DF> file.

s/el-get/any Emacs Lisp code/

The only reason I can think why this would not be acceptable is
security.  Otherwise this makes a lot of sense.

For security I would propose checksumming any code in the load-dir and
when new files are added or existing files are changed, query the user
and store a file checksum in an alist.

I'm willing to make this facility a package that users can install.  But
I think it's better to put it in the Emacs core so it's available by
default and without special action from the user beyond enabling a
single variable.  I feel strongly it would enhance Emacs to provide this.

Ted