Re: debbugs.el

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: debbugs.el
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 12:33:12 +0100

Reiner Steib <address@hidden> writes:

[Cc to address@hidden

> On Wed, Feb 23 2011, Chong Yidong wrote:
>
>> Michael Albinus <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> I propose to add a small package to the trunk I have written last weeks:
>>>
>>> ;;; debbugs.el --- SOAP library to access debbugs servers
> [...]
>>> Those functions could be used to implement a UI towards debbugs,
>>> widget-based or via gnus/nnir.
>>>
>>> For installation, the package needs also a WSDL file (Debbugs.wsdl). I
>>> have no idea where to install this file, maybe at etc/ ?
>>>
>>> Comments?
>>
>> This sounds more suitable for elpa.gnu.org than the trunk.
>
> I think we need a better interface to our bug tracker[1].  It would be
> better to have it in Emacs so that Gnus (nnir, message mode, ...) can
> build upon it.
>
> [1] handling bugs as described in admin/notes/bugtracker: closing,
>     merging, tagging, setting severity, ...

That was my motivation writing debbugs.el. I've also started an nnir
integration, but I failed badly due to missing gnus knowledge.

OTOH, the debbugs SOAP interface is poor, there are only very basic
information one could retrieve, and there is no "activiation" function
(changing whatever for a bug). So it might be better, we first make a
prototype implementation integrating it with nnir etc, before adding it
to Emacs core. For this purpose, it might be sufficient to bring it to
elpa (or gnus) for a while.

I would volunteer to participate in this integration work. I have
learned, I'm not able to do it alone.

> Bye, Reiner.

Best regards, Michael.