Re: How many more gnulib imports?

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: How many more gnulib imports?
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2011 10:06:03 -0800

> Are there any known problems in these that would require them to be
> imported?

Well, like I said, I haven't had time to survey them, and I
can't really answer that without time for analysis, but here
are a couple of things off the top of my head.

Emacs has several problems internally with integer overflow,
such that things will crash when they get too large.  The problems
are rare now but will become more important as memories get larger.
That is why I mentioned xalloc and verify (and regex too for that
matter; gnulib regex has several fixes in this area).

Emacs and other GNU packages create backup file names, in ways that
are supposed to be compatible, but which have diverged with time.
They should be compatible, and this may require some
changes to gnulib and to Emacs, hopefully all upward-compatible.
That is why I mentioned backupfile.

(I am not suggesting these changes simply for the fun of it,
believe me.  :-)