Re: Patch for fields of `struct buffer'

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: Patch for fields of `struct buffer'
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2011 09:26:09 -0700

>>>>> "Helmut" == Helmut Eller <address@hidden> writes:

Helmut> Well, no mutable objects could be shared, which is quite different from
Helmut> a lock; especially the case when somebody forgets to use the lock.

Tom> I am interested in reasoned arguments, grounded in real Emacs code, to
Tom> the contrary for either STM or CSP.

Helmut> With some hand-waving, the current way to deal with external processes
Helmut> can be seen as form of CSP.  Otherwise I'd say current Emacs code
Helmut> neither uses STM nor CSP nor locks, which makes it hard to meet your
Helmut> request.

What I meant by this is that any proposed change has to come with a plan
to upgrade the existing body of Emacs Lisp code, not all of which is
included in Emacs.

With locks it is probably possible to do this piecemeal.

I don't know how to do it for CSP, and for STM the C side seems much too
hard to contemplate.

Likewise, I think sharing mutable objects is inevitable given the way
Emacs Lisp is already written.

Tom