Re: How do I get ediff-buffers3 to ignore space changes?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: How do I get ediff-buffers3 to ignore space changes?
Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2011 19:17:46 +0200

> From: Lennart Borgman <address@hidden>
> Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2011 15:46:37 +0100
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> On Sat, Feb 5, 2011 at 10:09 AM, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
> >> From: Lennart Borgman <address@hidden>
> >> Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2011 22:29:48 +0100
> >>
> >> First: Is there anyone who actually have succeeded in getting
> >> ediff-buffers3 to ignore white space changes?
> >
> > Please explain what exactly you mean by "ignore white space changes".
>
> If there are only white space changes then I want ediff to not tell me
> about this difference (and not show it).

What exactly does "only white space changes" mean?  Can you show an
example of two chunks of text that have "only white space changes"?

And btw, are the EOL formats of the buffers the same?

> > Off-hand, I'd suggest to try using "-bBw" in the Diff switches.  But
> > if that doesn't do what you want, it means you didn't explain what you
> > expect to happen.
>
> It made no difference for ediff-buffers3. I still have 1200 diffs.

This invokes the diff3 command, which cannot ignore whitespace.
Sorry, I thought about ediff-buffers (just 2 buffers).

> However when I try to run ediff-buffers (just two buffers) I now get
> "invalid switch (shown in *ediff-errors*).

I don't see this error.  Maybe you should file a proper bug report.