Re: attribute warn_unused_result

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: attribute warn_unused_result
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2011 16:08:55 -0500

>> Gnulib's ignore-value module is designed for that.  I installed
>> the following:
>> ..and it broke the W32 and nextstep builds (at least) again.
> So what is wrong here, Paul? We have suggested that you make a
> separate branch for this. Why don't you do that?

AFAIK this last change introduced a bug, just like any other commit can
(and sometimes does) introduce a bug because some simple omission that's
easily fixed.  I.e. it's very different from the other cases where he
knew before that his change was going to break the w32 build.
IIUC people are reacting too strongly to this last problem because it
just happens to follow the other ones, but really it's a completely
different case.  I myself break the build on a regular basis as well, as
you all know too well.

BTW, I'd still like to see someone setup a build farm that can be used
to keep track of "the last revision that bootstraps", so people who
don't want to bump into such problems can follow that branch instead
of trunk.

        Stefan