Re: Patch for fields of `struct buffer'

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Patch for fields of `struct buffer'
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 15:00:47 -0500

> I will probably keep the current approach (the above shows "1"), since
> the hair is all isolated in the thread-creation function, and since this
> is how I expected it to work in the first place.

BTW, I think the option 1 of sharing between threads might lead to
complications in some implementations, since we now have variables which
are neither global nor specific to a single thread but are shared by
some subset of all threads.

If those vars are never `setq'd, it's OK because this sharing can be
eliminated by copying their values, but since we don't have such
guarantees, it sounds like option 2 of "no sharing" is more future-proof.

We can provide ways to transfer the value (but just the value) of some
variables from a parent to his child.

        Stefan